What causes black toenails and diabetes
Nerve damage and diabetes
Take care of your nerves!
Damage to the nerves is a common consequence of diabetes mellitus. They occur in one in three people with diabetes. Recognized at an early stage can prevent serious consequences and complaints.
Nerve disorders, the so-called diabetic neuropathy, can cause very unpleasant and serious complaints. The disorders can affect all organ systems in the body.
There are two main forms:
- peripheral neuropathy - diseases of the voluntary nervous system
- autonomic neuropathy - diseases of the autonomic nervous system
- poorly controlled diabetes for several years with increased blood sugar levels
- Nerve damage usually goes unnoticed for a long time. With the first noticeable complaints, there is already more severe damage.
- Most often, the nerves of the feet and legs are damaged.
- Sometimes the nerves in the hands and arms are damaged.
- Pain in the affected limbs can be burning, tearing, stabbing, but also boring and dull.
- Complaints occur preferentially in the furthest away
Regions distant from the trunk (toes, feet, fingers).
- In contrast to circulatory disorders, symptoms of neuropathy are more severe at night and get better with exercise.
- Parasitic sensations, tingling sensations such as "pins and needles", leg cramps and sometimes muscle weakness and unsteady gait
- Accompanying symptoms such as sleep disorders or depression can occur
- Sometimes the neuropathy is painless.
But nerve damage must also be recognized and treated at an early stage without pain. Because weakened or lacking sensitivity of the affected extremities causes pressure points, ulcers, strong calluses, injuries or burns. This can result in amputations or partial amputations of the foot going unnoticed and untreated.
It can affect almost any organ system and is characterized by a wide variety of disorders. Pronounced complaints are relatively rare and usually only observed after a long time. If it is so developed that the affected diabetics have significant symptoms, their life expectancy drops by about a fifth.
You can find an overview of the complaint images in
- good blood sugar levels
- little alcohol
- no obesity
- do not smoke
- Medical check-up
- peripheral neuropathy:
- Tuning fork test, testing the muscle reflexes and measuring the threshold of cold and warmth
- Determination of the nerve conduction velocity, d. H. the electrical conductivity of the nerve fibers
- autonomic neuropathy (depending on the organ system affected):
- Damage to the cardiovascular system can be determined with the help of an electrocardiogram (EKG).
The early diagnosis of nerve damage in diabetes mellitus is so important because there are good treatment options today. In addition to medication, devices can also be used, for example, with which the nerves are “trained”.
- The best treatment is good prevention (see prevention).
- Foot care
- modern pain therapy (medicinal, psychological)
- electrical nerve (TENS) or medium-frequency muscle stimulation (high-tone therapy with HiToP device)
- Distraction from the pain
- Pain diary
- Due to insufficient data, operative nerve decompression (relief) on the lower extremities, in which tissue is severed at certain narrow points in order to create more space for the nerves, is not recommended.
- if necessary, bed rest, physiotherapy and orthopedic footwear
Source: Diabetes Health Report 2012 (p. 98 ff)
- Scotland which which toy store Ballater card
- What is the postcode for Malaysia
- How to Freeze Ford Hook Beans
- What is an adramyttian ship
- What does anteverted and anteflexed uterus mean?
- Metal Snail Pc, How To Insert Coin
- What is iwa authentication
- What does rented state mean
- Using Tableau Parameters in Minneapolis
- Whonix USB mount tool
- Bianca ten bruggencate how to answer
- Sinopsis Film Horor Thailand Who are you
- Prof. Whorwell Wythenshawe Hospital attendant
- Tort czekoladowy ewy wachowicz
- What is a personal hotspot sprint
- Xentrace how to fundamentally
- Kanban used an example to explain what segmentation is
- How to check Konfreg usually 1
- 10x13 space is like many square meters
- Paia 2700 modules everywhere
- Episoft Cleansing Lotion, How To Use
- How is North Star Mental Health Funded
- Howtek Scanmaster 4500 Drum Scanner for sale
- Care farms Chicken Party Wings wholesale