When was the cancer constellation discovered as a definition
Columbus discovers a new world
Christopher Columbus discovered America in 1492 - without knowing it. He was actually looking for a new sea route to India. Even as a child, the Genoa-born son of a wool weaver was eager to learn and devoured reports on distant countries.
Like most scholars of his time, Columbus no longer believed that the earth was flat. If it was a bullet, he was convinced, one would also have to get to India on the western route. This route had to be shorter than the land routes to India and to the trading posts on the west coast of Africa that were known at the time.
For Spain on a voyage of discovery
Not interested in Columbus' plans, the King of Portugal turned to the Spanish court. The royal couple Ferdinand and Isabella appointed the seafarer admiral at his request and equipped him with all kinds of barter goods, three magnificent ships and a crew of 90 for his Atlantic crossing. The famous fleet set sail on September 6th.
According to his calculations, Asia had to be reached by mid-October. When his crew actually sighted land on October 11th, Columbus was overjoyed to have landed in India. Without knowing it, he had discovered a new world: America. He called the natives Indians because of his misjudgment, and he took possession of the Bahamas island he had found under the name of San Salvador for the Spanish crown.
Celebrated as a hero ...
Returning to Spain in 1493, Columbus was celebrated as a great hero. And that although he had brought neither gold nor spices from his first trip. Christopher Columbus was appointed viceroy of what was supposed to be India and immediately entrusted with further expeditions. The discovery of America later made Spain the richest country in Europe. Gold, silver, crops, spices, tobacco and sugar were brought across the Atlantic in large quantities. But that only happened after Columbus' death.
... and soon forgotten
The great navigator fell in favor of the Spanish nobility soon after his discovery. On the one hand because he did not find any treasures, on the other hand because he failed to keep insurgent Spanish settlers in the colonies in check. He was even brought back to Spain in chains and exchanged for a successor. He made one last trip, but returned to Europe bitter and sick in 1504. Columbus died in 1506, still believing that he had reached Asia - without knowing that he had discovered a new continent.
Today we know that Columbus' error was based on an incorrect measurement by the geographers of the time. They underestimated the circumference of the earth and settled China and Japan roughly where the seafarer sighted land. At the time, the scientists had no inkling that an entire continent was blocking the way, nor that the Pacific Ocean was spreading beyond it.
You can find out more in WAS IST WAS Volume 5 Great Explorers. Your travels and adventures
- Codename cure how to play with friends
- How to use ditto mac os x
- What is EEPROM in the printer
- Butterfly Pattern Chest Roentgen Whooping Cough
- What qualities make a good church leader?
- Sweaty hands during yoga
- Electronics wholesaler in Mumbai News
- How to make gofio de puerto rico
- How to Make Greek Apple Pie
- Come invisible on WhatsApp Web
- How to grow tomatoes in plastic bags
- What does Barry Bagley call Ishmael
- Fratto Brothers auto wholesalers reviews on whom
- What is classic style in fashion
- Who are Taylor Swift Red Tour dancers
- Sarah howell champlain ny
- How to find ka from ch3cooh name
- Fourgon Ciwl how to tie
- What does assembly mean in ancient Rome
- Talisker Sturm Costco Wholesale
- How to make bait for spearfishing
- How many panchayats in ernakulam tourist
- Moudyam in astrology, what are the houses doing
- What is the gamma carbon in glutamate