Cut the porridge means what
Pre-cook baby food in advance, freeze and warm it up
Baby porridge can be easily pre-cooked, frozen and warmed up. Warming up at lunchtime is just as quick as with a purchased porridge jar. In the following post I will explain exactly how it works and what you have to consider when freezing and warming baby food.
Contents of this page
Notes on the shelf life of baby food
Frozen baby food should within 6-8 weeks are used up. It stays tightly closed in the refrigerator until the next day, so 24 hours.
Always use thawed baby food within 24 hours.
Preparation of baby food: clean and cut vegetables
I used to cook porridge for my son every two weeks. Most of the time, the entire process from cutting vegetables to portioning the finished porridge took around 1-2 hours (for two different types) - the time varies depending on what kitchen equipment you have available.
The first step is to clean or peel the vegetables. You can use a conventional peeler to peel potatoes, parsnips or carrots. Unpeeled vegetables, such as B. You can clean broccoli with a small kitchen knife and cut it into smaller florets.
If you often cook large portions of baby food, a food processor * is very helpful for chopping the vegetables and potatoes. In my opinion, this purchase is also worthwhile for the toddler's kitchen later, for example to make fruit smoothies. You can also use a slicer, such as the Leifheit all-purpose grater *, to chop the vegetables well and, above all, more cheaply. If you want to cut the vegetables by hand in the classic way with a knife, you will need a little more patience for one or two weeks with a quantity of porridge, but this is also possible.
Puree baby food with a hand blender, stand mixer or special baby food preparers
You can puree the cooked vegetables with a normal hand blender (preferably with a stainless steel shaft) or with a stand mixer. When using a hand blender, please make sure that the vessel is at least as high as the shaft of the hand blender, otherwise the porridge will splash all over the kitchen. Be careful here, even if the porridge is very hot, there is a risk of burns. It is best to let the cooked vegetables cool down for a few minutes.
There are also combination devices such as B. the Philips AVENT 4-in-1 baby food maker (steamer and mixer) *: The vegetables or fruit are gently steamed and simply pureed with the same device:
You can find my detailed test report with instructions for this device here.
Freezing baby food in advance - you should consider this:
It is best to always add the rapeseed oil to the lunch porridge after it has thawed. See also: Which oil is best for preparing baby food.
Before the baby food is frozen, it should always cool down completely, but as quickly as possible (simply cover with a fresh kitchen towel or put 2/3 of the lid of the jar on it, but do not press it shut yet) so that no germs can form. The porridge should then be completely sealed and quickly frozen or placed in the refrigerator for consumption the next day. For me, small ones have to freeze for the start of complementary foods Ice cube tray * proven because a baby initially only eats a few spoons of porridge. Depending on your needs, you can remove the desired amount of porridge, defrost and warm it up. One ice cube corresponds to about 20 g.
If you want to do without plastic here, I can recommend ice cube trays made of stainless steel *:
Larger portions (around 75 ml), for example, can be easily frozen with this silicone freezer *. This has the advantage that the frozen baby food can be easily removed from the mold:
If your baby eats more porridge after a while, you can also use old porridge Freeze porridge jars or jam jars.
Tip: It is best to pay attention to the jars with screw caps "Blue ring“In the lid, as this lid does not contain any plasticizers.
Important: Do not fill the porridge to the brim in the glasses, otherwise they can burst, just leave a little space upstairs, then it works wonderfully with the freezing in glasses.
Alternatively, you can also use the baby food in special Complementary food cans for example from the company Nuby *. Incidentally, these are also very practical later in toddler age, as you can use them to take pieces of fruit or nibbles with you when you are out and about.
The storage containers for porridge from Avent * are a little more expensive:
I find the containers from Babymoov * very practical because they have a screw cap and are therefore leak-proof. They are available in different sizes:
Which baby food can you freeze and which not?
You can freeze the following baby food without any problems:
- Baby porridge made from vegetables with medium and low nitrate content
- Baby porridge with potatoes: after thawing, warm the porridge well and stir it properly. The strength of the potato changes, namely freezing, but heating and stirring well will make the porridge creamy again.
- Baby porridge with cooked noodles, rice or couscous
- Vegetarian lunchtime porridge with cereal flakes or legumes: It can also be frozen without any problems, as the proportion of cereal is lower than in evening or afternoon porridge.
- Fruit puree such as applesauce or blueberry applesauce.
I do not recommend freezing the following baby food, but cooking it fresh:
- Baby food made from vegetables with a high nitrate content
- Baby food with fish: Fish is a very sensitive food, which quickly tends to germinate if it is not properly cooled and reheated.
- Baby food made from frozen vegetables.
- Baby food with egg.
- I also recommend cooking evening and afternoon porridge fresh.
Warm up baby food
The best and fastest way to warm up baby food is to take it out of the freezer late in the evening and place it in the refrigerator while still closed. There it can then thaw overnight.
Of course, you can also heat the frozen porridge, but this takes a lot longer and requires more energy.
You can easily put the defrosted baby food in the water bath warm up: To do this, simply put the mash container without a lid in a saucepan with hot water (approx. 70 ° C) and heat it up while stirring regularly.
Of course, the porridge can also be used in the microwave be heated. Please make sure that you warm it up gently, i.e. not at full wattage, and that you stir it again regularly and check the temperature.
Specific Complementary food warmers are also a good and quick way to heat the baby food to the right temperature. There are different models and price ranges, some of which match the complementary food containers, such as the Philips Avent bottle and baby food warmer *.
* This page contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you decide to buy a product on the site, I get a small commission, which I use to continue to offer you great recipes and tips.
- When you create a data set, you create the Oracle Forms Builder
- Espiar WhatsApp en la Misma WiFi hotspots
- Birdseed Wholesalers Cape Town
- How to get young players to reach potential
- What is div in php
- Mordaunt short carnival 2 what hi-fi france
- How to make breadcrumbs stick
- What does it mean to be hit offline
- How to fill out a Form 2426
- Morocco girls WhatsApp group
- Where is Guinea Conakry map
- What does hunt for charter box mean
- What is a Panachida funeral
- Khanda symbol for WhatsApp status
- How to import c100 sd cards
- How to use outstrip in a sentence
- Japan apartments what does sic
- When does Falk Firebeard sleep
- Read the room for what it is
- What does anteverted and anteflexed uterus mean?
- What is a larger quarter pound or half a pound
- Fry the whole catfish in a pan
- How do I write a Lewis structure for so2cl2
- Samsung sp 0915 what network