What does scalded cat mean
Part of speech: ProverbMinor forms:
- the burned child shuns fire, the burned child fears fire
- Once bitten, twice shy
- Burned child shies away from fire
- IPA: [ɡəˌbʁantəs ˈkɪnt ˌʃɔɪ̯t das ˈfɔɪ̯ɐ]
- 1) Anyone who has once had a bad experience tries to avoid something similar
- 1) Watered dogs fear the water
- 1) the donkey only walks once on the ice / the donkey is so wise, it only dances once on the ice / you only take a donkey onto the ice once, the donkey only trips over the same stone once / the donkey does not hit the same stone twice stone
- 1) an old fox does not go in the yarn the second time / an old fox does not go in the yarn twice
- 1) a burned cat eschews fire
- 1) "Afterwards you can see it better, and once Burned children shy away from fire!“
- 1) “Both like each other, but both are afraid of love. There are disappointments in her life, and one burned child shies away known the fire.“
- 1) “It is based on the curiosity already present in the playing child to see 'what's behind it'. But the burned child, which from now on shy away from fire has not gained any scientific knowledge, but an experience. "
- 1) “The United States, on the other hand, would like to be burned child, the shy away from fire slowly but surely detach the currencies from gold. "
- burned child
- Arabic (DMG):
- modern standard Arabic: 1) أَلطِّفْلُ ٱلْمُكْتَوِّي بِالنَّارِ يَخَافُ ٱلنَّارَ (aṭ-ṭiflu 'l-muktawwī bi-'n-nāri yaḫāfu' n-nārab = the burned childāمḥا ū مūa ūrāقُمḥa مina (ينر fears the fire) -nārib = the one who is burned fears the fire), أَلْمَلْدُوغُ يَخَافُ مِن جَرَّةِ ٱلْحَبْلِ (al-maldūġu yaḫāfu min ǧarrati 'l-ḥablib = the [يُِلاُؤْمُؤْممممممممممممُؤْممُؤْمم لمُؤْم لٍمُؤْم يs ن رت رت رت ت يs ن مر يs ن رت رت الم لمُؤْم يs (Al-muʾminu lā yuldaġu min ǧaḥrin marrataynib = the believer is never bitten twice from the same hole)
- Danish: 1) brændt barn skyr ilden
- English: 1) a burnt child dreads the fire, a scalded cat fears cold water 'a scalded cat fears cold water' / a scalded dog fears cold water 'a scalded dog fears cold water', he that has been bitten by a serpent is afraid of a rope 'whoever has been bitten by a snake is afraid of a rope', ask once, twice shy 'once bitten, twice [so] restrained' / once burnt, twice shy 'once burned, twice [so] reluctant '/ once hurt, twice shy, once injured, twice [so] reluctant'
- Faroese: 1) brent barn ræðist eld
- French: 1) chat échaudé craint l'eau froide 'scalded cat fears cold water', chien échaudé ne revient pas en cuisine 'scalded dog never comes into the kitchen again', chien une fois échaudé, d'eau froide est intimidé '[A] once scalded dog is intimidated by cold water', qui a peur des serpents se méfie des cordes, 'whoever is afraid of snakes, beware of ropes'
- Greek (new) (iU): 1) όποιος καεί με το χυλό φυσά και το γιαούρτι (ópoios kaeí me to chyló fysá kai to yaoúrti) ‚whoever scalds himself on the porridge, blows on the yogurt‘
- Hebrew: 1) מִי שֶׁנִכְוָה בְּרוֹתְחִין נְזְהָר בְּצוֹנְנִין (mī šæ-niḵṿā be-rōṯḥīn nezhār be-ṣōnenīnb = the scalded person wards off cold water)
- Icelandic: 1) barn forðast eldinn burns
- Italian: 1) gatto scottato teme l'acqua fredda 'burned cat fears cold water', l'uomo scottato ha paura del fuoco 'the burned person is afraid of fire', chi è scottato una volta, l'altra vi soffia su 'Whoever has burned himself blows on it another time'
- Dutch: 1) Belgium seldom: a burned child schuwt het vuur
- Bokmål: 1) brent barn skyr ilden
- Nynorsk: 1) brent barn skyr elden
- Polish: 1) kto się na gorącym sparzył, ten na zimne dmucha, whoever has burned himself in the heat, blows in the cold ‘
- Portuguese: 1) gata a quem morde a cobra tem medo a corda '[a] cat bitten by a snake fears the rope', gato escaldado tem medo de água fria 'scalded cat fears cold water' / gato escaldado, de água fria tem medo 'scalded cat fears cold water', quem do escorpião está picado a sombra o espanta 'whoever is stung by a scorpion, [whose] shadow frightens him', quem foi picado por cobra tem medo de corda 'who of was bitten by a snake, is afraid of a rope ', quem se queimar que sopre' whoever burns himself blows'
- Romanian: 1) pisica opărită fuge şi de apă rece ‚the scalded cat flees from cold water‘
- Spanish: 1) gato al cual mordió la culebra ha miedo de la cuerda '[a] cat bitten by a snake is afraid of the rope', gato escaldado, del agua fría huye 'scalded cat is afraid of cold water', gato escaldado, del agua fría ha miedo 'scalded cat fears cold water', quien de la culebra está mordido, de la sombra se espanta 'anyone who is bitten by a snake is frightened of the shadow', quien del alacrán fué picado, la sombra le espanta 'whoever has been stung by a scorpion, [whose] shadow frightens him', quien se quema en la sopa, asopla en la fruta, whoever burns himself on a soup blows on the fruit ', quien una vez se quemó con la sopa, a otra vez, sopla' whoever has burned himself on a soup blows again (on it) ',
- Turkish: 1) sütten ağzı yanan, yoğurdu üfleyerek yer 'whoever has burned his mouth with hot milk will also blow the yogurt afterwards ‘
Practical example sentences
Automatically selected examples in German:
„Why is there so much skepticism among the players? A Burned child shies away from fire, is it [called. Players still feel the anger about the unsuccessful release and the early end of the MMORPG Bless Online.“
Mein-MMO.de, August 21, 2020
The usage examples were selected automatically and may therefore contain errors.
Entries from our dictionary containing "burned child shuns fire":
chat échaudé craint l'eau froide: Part of Speech: Proverb Meaning / Definition: 1) burned child shies away from fire (l'enfant brûlé craint le feu) (Note: the literal translation is: A scalded cat fears cold water
brent barn ræðist eld: brent barn ræðist eld (Faroese) part of speech: proverb pronunciation / intonation: IPA:  word meaning / definition: 1) A burned child shies away from fire (literally: "" ...
slaan: dat paard zal hem niet meer slaan - burned child shies away from fire Translations German: beat English: 1) to hit, 2) to beat, 3) to take
Rate & Share
Rate the dictionary entry or share it with friends.
Quote & print
Quote this page:
"Burned child shies away from fire" in the online dictionary Wortbedeutung.info (May 18, 2021) URL: https://www.wortbedeutung.info/gebranntes_Kind_scheut_das_Feuer/
Comments from users
There are currently no comments on this entry.
Complete the dictionary entry
Wortscheutung.info is a Language dictionary and is used to look up all linguistic information. It's explicit not an encyclopedia and no subject dictionary that explains content. Add a note to the entry "burned child is afraid of fire" and thus help to improve our dictionary. Questions, requests for help and complaints are not welcome and will be deleted immediately. HTML tags are not allowed.
The following terms
blown (German) Part of Speech: Participle II Hyphenation: ge | brasst Pronunciation / Emphasis: IPA: [ɡəˈb Grammast] Grammatical…
braided (German) Part of Speech: Declined Form Hyphenation: ge | brass | te Pronunciation / Stress: IPA: [ɡəˈbʁastə]…
blown (German) Part of Speech: Declined Form Hyphenation: ge | brass | tem Pronunciation / Stress: IPA: [ɡəˈbʁastəm]…
braided (German) Part of Speech: Declined Form Hyphenation: ge | brass | ten Pronunciation / Stress: IPA: [ɡəˈbʁastn̩]…
braided (German) Part of Speech: Declined form Hyphenation: ge | brass | ter Pronunciation / Stress: IPA: [ɡəˈbʁastɐ]…
blown (German) Part of Speech: Declined Form Hyphenation: ge | brass | tes Pronunciation / Stress: IPA: [ɡəˈbʁastəs]…
fried (German) Part of Speech: Participle II Hyphenation: ge | bra | ten Pronunciation / Stress: IPA: [ɡəˈbʀaːtn̩]…
fried (German) Part of speech: Declined form Hyphenation: ge | bra | te | ne Pronunciation / Emphasis: IPA: [ɡəˈbʁaːtən…]…
fried (German) Part of speech: Declined form Hyphenation: ge | bra | te | nem Pronunciation / Emphasis: IPA:…
fried (German) Part of speech: Declined form Hyphenation: ge | bra | te | nen Pronunciation / Emphasis: IPA:…
fried (German) Part of speech: Declined form Hyphenation: ge | bra | te | ner Pronunciation / Stress: IPA: [ɡəˈbʁaːtənɐ]…
fried (German) Part of speech: Declined form Hyphenation: ge | bra | te | nes Pronunciation / Emphasis: IPA:…
- Fans sirocco howden b.v.
- Anita cobby what happened
- Where does the Maine Lobster Festival take place
- How to install dd-wrt on netgear wndr3400v2
- How cercla 113. contribution law works
- How to get servers on Xbox One
- Edie Brickell, what I am Letra Traducida
- What makes a fiberglass hard
- How to make chain lanterns in terrariums
- Howard Winstone date of death
- 1 liter of coconut oil is how many kg
- Sublime solar close combat charms in wholesale
- How to unlock Microsoft Word 2013
- Gift items wholesale Philippines food
- How to view PHP files with xampp
- How to use Dreamweaver without Codecademy
- Timeguard psl07 bind instructions
- Google Checkout 1099-k what is it
- What does POV mean on Instagram
- What do Brazil nuts mean in Spanish
- How to get pregnant without intercourse yahoo
- Dr. Michael Howard Shanik Mds
- What does Shizen Houzen mean
- What is crazy remote server