Philipp von Piechowski surname
Mountbatten-Windsor: This is how the Royal Family got their last name
Elizabeth, Charles, William, Harry, Meghan, Kate - they are known without a surname. For this they are preceded by a queen, a prince or a duchess. But there is a royal family name.
Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other realms and territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith: This is the full title of Queen Elizabeth II. in English. Not to be found in it: a surname.
Just as little as with their heir apparent, Prince Charles, who is also known as the Prince of Wales and Duke of Cornwall, among others. Overall, he even has an even longer title than his mother. It is different with the son of Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan. The now one year old is simply called Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor. What's up with all this mess? We would be happy to explain that to you here.
Family tree of the British royals (source: t-online.de with material from Getty Images and dpa)
The name Windsor is born
In the past, descendants of the royal family took the names of the respective "houses" from their fathers instead of normal surnames. For example Edward von Sachsen-Coburg and Gotha (in English: Saxe-Coburg and Gotha). He was the eldest son of Queen Victoria and her husband Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and later Edward VII, King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and Emperor of India.
His son George V, the grandfather of the current Queen, ascended the throne in 1910 and introduced a new law in 1917. The reason for this was the anti-German mood in the country during the First World War. So he changed the name of the royal family from the German-sounding Saxe-Coburg and Gotha to Windsor (based on the castle of the same name) - and thus founded the new dynasty.
Where does Mountbatten come from?
Since then, the royal family has been officially called Windsor, but the origin of Queen Elizabeth's husband Philip is also noted in the surname of her own descendants - after a long struggle on his part. So those descendants who are not Royal Highnesses, Princes or Princesses now bear the surname Mountbatten-Windsor. Like, for example, the son of Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan. So the little one is now called Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor. Incidentally, Mountbatten was also Anglicized in 1917 - by the Hessian family of the Battenbergs.
Mark Phillips and Princess Anne: The two married on November 14, 1973. The marriage ended in divorce in 1992. (Source: imago images / Everett Collection)
The last name may also be required in the case of a wedding. The surname Mountbatten-Windsor first appeared on an official document on November 14, 1973: at the wedding of Princess Anne and Mark Phillips.
If he wanted, Prince Charles could change the current laws with his accession to the throne. By the way, Prince George and Princess Charlotte are said to be named after the duchy titles of their parents George and Charlotte Cambridge at school.
More on the topics
- Celebrity news,
- Nobility and royals,
- Queen Elizabeth II,
- Prince Charles,
- Prince George,
- Duchess Meghan,
- Royal Fun Fact,
- Prince Harry,
- Archie Harrison,
- Great Britain,
- How to bend 10mm steel pipe
- What does it mean to be covered
- How to check the FPSC tracking ID
- How old is aigboje aig imoukhuede
- How to turn on a cute swisher
- Jason Boland meaning somewhere down in Texas
- What is David Ortiz Height and Weight
- How to whitewash bricks with paint
- Tantric massage therapy near me who take
- How old is Tom Cruise in Cocktail
- Nardi fe866ez guide to playing
- Dynamsoft sourceanywhere for professional servers from vss 5.4
- What does lonely as an oyster mean?
- How did bob hentzen dieem
- How to sync ifit link manual
- Cab Care padlocked wholesale
- Former Yugoslavia like many countries in the south
- How to Make a Hindi Project Attractive
- Bombay Chowpatty in Al Ghurair
- What is Health Education in Mapeh Jingle
- How to grill bread in ifb microwaves
- Skyrim where the melt is in Riften
- How to play a Gaelic football skills camp
- Lovers discovering chords crystal castles game