What does Ilvitrim suspension dog do
What is Surolan®?
Surolan® are prescription ear drops for the treatment of Ear infections (Otitis externa) and Skin infections in dogs and cats.
Which active ingredients does Surolan® contain?
Surolan® is a combination preparation that contains three active ingredients: miconazole, polymyxin B and prednisolone.
- Miconazole kills fungi and certain bacteria.
- At Polymyxin B it is an antibiotic.
- Prednisolone is an anti-inflammatory and antipruritic glucocorticoid.
1 ml Surolan® contains 23 mg miconazole, 0.53 mg polymyxin B and 5 mg prednisolone.
When is Surolan® used?
The veterinarian prescribes Surolan® for the treatment of inflammation of the outer ear (otitis externa) and the skin in dogs and cats, provided that these inflammations are caused by fungi, yeast, bacteria or ear mites. Surolan® is very effective against the two germs that occur most frequently in connection with outer ear infections: the yeast Malassezia pachydermatis and the bacterium Staphylococcus pseudintermedius. To ensure that the pathogens are actually killed by treatment with Surolan®, the vet cultivates a sample of the pathogen from the ear and checks it for resistance.
Surolan is allowed not applied become at:
- Animals with an injured eardrum
- Animals with large, poorly healing or fresh wounds
- Animals with virus-related skin infections
- Animals with a known or suspected hypersensitivity to miconazole, polymyxin B, prednisolone or any of the other components of Surolan®
- Animals with local vaccination reactions
- Pathogens that are resistant to miconazole or polymyxin B.
How should Surolan® be administered?
Before the vet prescribes Surolan® to treat an outer ear infection, they carefully examine the ear to make sure the eardrum is intact. It is advisable to remove bothersome hair growth on and near the area to be treated. Before using Surolan®, shake the bottle vigorously for a few seconds to mix the contents of the bottle evenly. Thoroughly clean and dry the animal's outer ear before each treatment with Surolan®.
The dosage of Surolan® depends on the underlying disease:
- At a Inflammation of the outer ear use the applicator to drip five drops of Surolan® into the external ear canal twice a day. To distribute the medicine evenly around the ear, gently massage your pet's auricle and ear canal. Continue treatment continuously for a few days after the symptoms have subsided.
- Should the outer ear inflammation of Ear mites of the species Otodectes cynotis, use five drops of Surolan® twice a day for 14 days.
- At Skin infections apply Surolan® thinly to the skin twice a day and massage Surolan® in carefully.
Wear gloves when treating your pet with Surolan® and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards. People who are hypersensitive to miconazole, polymyxin B or prednisolone should avoid contact with Surolan®.
What side effects does Surolan® have?
After treatment with Surolan®, isolated side effects such as hypersensitivity reactions, hearing damage and deafness were observed. The active ingredient miconazole in rare cases leads to reddening, swelling, pain, itching and oozing of the treated area. The active ingredient polymyxin B can also damage the inner ear in the event of otitis media and / or an injured eardrum.
Like all glucocorticoids, the active ingredient prednisolone in Surolan® can lead to a delay in wound healing and a thinning of the skin. In addition, if it enters the bloodstream, prednisolone can affect the entire body. This is possible either through increased absorption through the skin, for example in the case of airtight and watertight bandages or extensive skin injuries, or by the animal licking the wound. This can lead to an inhibition of the adrenal function, which affects the metabolism, water and electrolyte balance, the cardiovascular, nervous and immune systems.
Important note: Please note that this text does not constitute advice, recommendation or solicitation with regard to the purchase and / or use of medication. The medical information does not constitute such advice, nor is it intended to replace a visit to the vet, i.e. a personal consultation, examination or diagnosis by a licensed veterinarian. They are for your information only and are not intended to encourage self-diagnosis or self-treatment of your animal. Please always contact your veterinarian or pharmacist if your pet has any health problems!
Author: Dr. Annukka Aho-Ritter, qualified biologist
Date: December 2014
University of Zurich. Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology: CliniPharm CliniTox information system.
www.vetpharm.uzh.ch (accessed December 2014)
Surolan® package insert (as of May 2012) http://www.pharmazie.com/graphic/A/88/8-16388.pdf
Animal Health International: http://events.animalhealthinternational.com/manufactures/Elanco/SUR00105%20Surolan%20Detailer%2002%2017.pdf
Tags: dog, cat, ear infection
Share this article:
- Mobile9 Java games for Nokia x2-00 WhatsApp
- Api 50 ch instructions on how to tie
- Who does action figure therapy that I love
- Who Issues Birth Certificates in Pakistan Karachi
- Logitech everywhere mouse mx vs refresh rate
- Draw a QAPF diagram for use
- Donkey in slang, which is a saw buck
- What if Naruto hates his family fanfiction
- How to open a defiant bolt lock
- What happened to Samsung White after worlds
- Mazak 530c specifies Howard
- Captiva exhaust noise when cold
- Camp nowhere age rating for garrys mod
- What font does the peace love world use
- How cercla 113. contribution law works
- What does Leil Shimurim, Joe mean
- How to open websites with cortana nfl
- Wholesale marine boiling granules
- What does it mean when you are scurvy dogs
- How big is Arnold Schwarzenegger's shoe size
- How cef switch works
- S.o.l.a.r hearing techniques while handling
- How to remove 3m logo on shade
- When did Lizette Charbonneau die today?
- House trembles in the wind
- RCaf tartan scarf wholesale
- What does lpr mean in insurance
- How to make rocky deep voice as fast as possible
- How to make a gyrotron pdf
- Millefleurs velvet curtain fabric wholesale
- Woman breastfeeding her dog
- What are the differences Dre Acapella Lyrics